Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Saturday Schnitzelbank?

Last night was my first time at the Dakota Inn (can't believe that!) and I want to go back again...already.  It was so much fun!  From the moment you walk in and see the architecture and the hear the whole place singing a song together (the words are projected on the wall), you know this is going to be a great place.

Dakota Inn--Located on John R in Detroit..Not far from Hamtramck , is Detroit's only authentic German restaurant and bar.

Since I was there with a group Germans (Jaegers and Koenigbauers) they guided me through the menu of traditional dishes.  We quickly ordered a pitcher of the Dakota Inn Red  and a cheese and sausage board which was served with pretzels and mustard.  Yum! Perfect! The cheese was a mellow Gouda and the "chub" of Summer Sausage was served with the the skin still on.  I loved it and so did everyone else at the table because it was gone quickly.

German Artwork on wall

And, now the piano player takes a request!  YAY...so, we heard a rendition of "The Entertainer" and many people in the crowd sang along.

Dinner is served!  I ordered the Kassler Rippchen.  A smoked pork chop, served with hot German potato salad and red kraut...outstanding.  The pork chop was like biting into a thick piece of ham.  We also ordered potato pancakes for the table.  They may have been the best potato pancakes I have ever had.  I could taste the butter they were sauteed in and the edges were so crisp.  My husband ordered the Rouldan, which is round steak wrapped around pork, onions and a pickle.  And, we ordered the Knackwurst for the kids.  I was not a huge fan of the Rouldan. I couldn't really taste the individual flavors, but I could see the appeal of the dish.   The Knackwurst was very good and tasted and smelled just like a good German sausage should.  I would like to taste the Bratwurst next time.

And, now...what we have all been waiting for SCHNITZELBANK!

What is a schnitzelbank?
"A Schnitzelbank is actually a woodworker's bench. One of the great Dakota Inn traditions includes a sing-along about the Schnitzelbank. This is a classic German drinking song. Every night, someone leads the crowd in a song that uses the Schnitzelbank as its centerpiece."

 
The words to Schnitzelbank displayed on the wall
 The crowd loved this song...we all sang along and I know I said every word incorrectly, but I don't care.  It was fun!  The man who lead the song, used an old cane to point the the next word.  So, fun!

And, to top it all off, they had a snowflake cutting contest.  They even supplied the paper and scissors.  All of the snowflakes are then displayed on the walls!

I love the Dakota Inn.  I will be back and I am going to practice the Schnitzelbank before I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment