Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Barbeque, Baklava and a Bike

I realize it is the middle of January, but I was day dreaming of Spring the other day (yes, already) and all of this came to mind....
There is no doubt in my mind, I seriously love barbeque.  And, I am sure the thing I love about it the most is eating smoked fat.  Sure the meat part is good too, but I really like the fatty ends of just about everything, so chicken does not fit into my world of barbeque at all...unless I am eating the skin (Slow's has some smoked wings that are very good) then forget the chicken.

That being said, I have been to my fair share of Detroit barbeque establishments and I have one problem.  I like different things at each one.  If I were to build my perfect meal, I would have to go to several restaurants to do so.  And, maybe one day I will.  So, here is my ideal barbeque meal, complete with beverages and dessert.

My vision is this...me on a bike (basket on front) in the spring, traveling around the city, filling my basket with all of my barbeque meal components.  Once they are collected, I will take my goodies to the Detroit Riverfront, on the patch of grass next to Milliken State Park where there is a large hill.  I will sit atop the hill on a blanket and devour my meal while watching the freighters go by. Ahhhh....dreams.

The meal:

Beverage:  Since there are seasonal beers on tap everywhere, I will just put my favorite here. LaGunitas IPA.  It is very hop-py but very delicious! (It has been on tap at Green Dot Stables in the recent past)

Appetizer: Slow's BBQ Wings and Burnt Ends (Brisket) from RUB BBQ Pub.

Main Course:  (I am making my own combo meal here) Texas Style Beef Brisket from Slow's BBQ and a half rack of St. Louis Style Spare Ribs from Red Smoke Barbeque.

Dessert:  Baklava from Astoria Bakery-Greektown

Enjoy!!

Baklava from Astoria Bakery

St. Louis Spare Ribs from Red Smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment